Welcome to the West Philly Foods CSA 2014 season! Even though our program has already started, we are still accepting members. Please get in touch with our CSA manager for prorated CSA prices!
For information on becoming a member or partner, contact Allison Blansfield at 215-895-4050 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The West Philly Foods CSA completed another successful growing and distribution season! The 2013 season, our largest yet, included:
- 110 CSA members
- 6 CSA pickup locations
- 3 urban farm contributors
- 18,000+ pounds of fresh, local produce distributed
- 7 value-added share options, including baked goods, beer, bread, flowers, jam, pesto, and pies
The West Philly Foods CSA program is part of TEC-CDC’s larger goal of creating a complete local food system in West Philadelphia. The CSA supports:
- Local farmers – We purchase and aggregate produce from several local urban and rural farms on a weekly basis, supplementing production at our own urban farm in Walnut Hill.
- The Walnut Hill Community – We offer a portion of our shares at a subsidized rate to low-income community members in Walnut Hill, and we have revitalized a once-vacant neighborhood lot into a thriving community farm, park, and garden.
- Local food entrepreneurs – We partner with local food entrepreneurs, providing them with an opportunity to expand their customer base by selling “value-added” food products to CSA members.
- Local healthcare providers – We partner with Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP), who hosted a CSA pickup location for its employees and used CSA shares as part of its youth-focused Healthy Weight Program.